Reduction is the loss of oxygen atom from a molecule or the gaining of one or more electrons. A reduction reaction is seen from the point of view of the molecule being reduced, as when one molecule gets reduced another gets oxidised. The full reaction is known as a Redox reaction. This is a good way of remembering it.
This can be remembered with the term OIL RIG when speaking about electrons.
- Oxidation Is Loss
- Reduction Is Gain
In the case of Organic Chemistry it is usually the case of the gaining/loss of Oxygen/Hydrogen
- Oxidation is a process where a substance
- Loses one or more electrons
- Gains an oxygen atom or Electronegative atoms
- Loses a hydrogen atom or Electropositive atoms
- Gains an increase in its oxidation number
- Reduction is the opposite!